Well I had a lovely surprise earlier this week when a mysterious package appeared on my doorstep – it turned out to be a Buddy Box from The Blurt Foundation sent by my dear friend Amy-Louise (she also has an awesome mental health blog you should check out). I’ve been having a pretty rough time of things lately and the day it arrived was especially bad but getting this actually did a lot to turn my day around.
I’ve been a massive fan of The Blurt Foundation for a long time, they are a great organisation dedicated to breaking down the stigma around mental health issues and I definitely found a kindred spirit in their CEO Jayne Hardy who is a fierce and dedicated campaigner. They recently started to do these Buddy Boxes which I think are a great way to show friends that you care for them. They’re designed to promote self care and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on one.
So here’s a quick unboxing blog to show you what I got and hopefully encourage some of you to get involved too!
The box itself
The box itself is gorgeous (although the postman managed to bash mine a bit unforunately). I’ve noticed a lot of these box subscriptions lately (Nerd Block etc) and the boxes can be a bit bulky but this is shoebox sized and definitely something I’ll keep after using the contents.
Inside everything is beautifully wrapped and like I mentioned the box is the perfect size so the contents didn’t get knocked and it didn’t seem disappointedly empty like some sub boxes I’ve seen.
The important bit – the contents!
Sorry if this picture is a bit small but essentially here’s what came inside the September Buddy Box:
- Postcards – The first thing you can see when you open the box is a couple of very sweet postcards from Blurt themselves which I thought was a really nice touch
- A notebook – I don’t know if it’s an anxious person thing but I’ve noticed a LOT of us have a bit of a stationary obsession so this is perfect – as much as I’m glued to my phone and technology in general I don’t think I’ll ever be able to give up paper diaries and notebooks and always have one on me. This one is definitely going to be going in my bag.
- A pen – Not just that but a very cool pen which I’m definitely going to double up as a bookmark. Also as it’s flat I think it may actually be easier for me to use when winter and my Raynaud’s really kick in.
- Soap – mmmmm not just any boring soap but gorgeous smelly stuff from Gone Crabbing who are a family run organisation which is nice as I try my best to buy as much as I can from independent companies.
- Socks! I don’t know how they knew but my sock collection is fast depleting so these were very welcome – also they are probably the softest pair I own and very warm which is great for people like me who are secretly cold blooded lizards and therefore ALWAYS cold.
- My favourite bit: craft stuffm – as some of you know I am massively into crafting, having found it a very therapeutic and rewarding activity. Cross stitching obscenities got me through 18 months of a job from hell and I also find that it’s a great distraction for me when I’m feeling anxious (and likely to pick my skin or hair) or feel strong self harm urges. This little craft kit is gorgeous and when I actually have the energy will be a little cactus to match the notebook.
So there you have it! Having received a box I will definitely be paying it forward 🙂